When Apple relaunched the iPhone SE in 2020 with an iPhone 8-design, updated internals all for $399, the market suddenly got the affordable iPhone it always needed. In 2022 the 5G-equipped 2022 iPhone SE retains its current design, features the A15 Bionic and 12-megapixel Ultra-Wide front camera with center stage support, Quad-LED True Tone flash and now costs $429 instead of last year’s $399 starting price, mostly likely due to inflation. It is 1.8x faster than iPhone 8 with A15 Bionic and available in Midnight, Starlight and Product Red.
Apple could and should be doing more with their budget iPhone. The perfect example of what they should be doing is the iPhone 13 mini. The iPhone 13 mini’s design is in-line with the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max, which originated with the iPhone X. Apple should make the next iPhone SE based on the iPhone 13 mini. Ok, that’s enough with the slamming of Apple’s laziness with the iPhone SE.
Apple certainly has delivered a lot of value with its refreshed iPhone SE. While it might not look like an iPhone from 2022, it certainly operates like one, with Apple’s A15 Bionic fire-breather on board, portrait capable front and rear cameras and wireless charging. Essentially, iPhone SE is a retro iPhone with 2022 internals inside.
- Screen: 4.7-inch True Tone display, 1334 x 750, 326 ppi
- Rear camera: 12-megapixel single 6-element lens, ƒ/1.8 aperture, features OIS, flicker sensor for white balance, focus pixels, HDR, and portrait mode for people, video recording at 4K/60fps
- Selfie camera: 7-megapixel camera, ƒ/2.2 aperture
- Dimensions: 67.3 x 138.4 x 7.3mm, 148 grams
- Processor: A15 Bionic, 6-core CPU, 4-Core GPU and a 16-Core Neural Engine
- Storage: 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6, 5G, Gigabit LTE, Dual SIM with eSIM
- Biometric authentication: Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- Wireless charging, Lightning connector, USB-C to lightning cable, 5W charger not included
- IP67 protection
- Price: $429
If you loved the older iPhone style of the iPhone 6 up through the iPhone 8, then you’ll love the 2022 iPhone SE, it is essentially the best Touch ID button equipped iPhone Apple has ever made even if it is $30 more expensive than the 2020 model.