Google is planning to launch the Android TV and Google TV Stadia app this Wednesday June 23rd but it is possible to play now ahead of the app’s official launch and we will show you how.
This morning Google published the ‘Stadia for Android TV’ app in the Google Play Store and upon opening the app you are prompted to log in but then are informed that Stadia is not available yet (until the 23rd). But this can be bypassed enabling you to play Stadia games on your Android TV/Google TV device now.
So far the few confirmed devices that this has worked on are a Chromecast with Google TV and an Nvidia Shield TV so your mileage may vary until June 23rd.
How to play Stadia games on Android TV/Google TV devices
- On the Chromecast with Google TV, navigate to your Google profile picture, and select > Settings
- Next select > System > About > System Update > Now check to see if you need an update
- Open the Play Store on your Android TV/Google TV device and search for ‘Stadia.’ Alternatively, you can install the ‘Stadia for Android TV’ app from its Play Store listing from your web browser.
- Install the Stadia for Android TV app
- Reboot your Android TV/Google TV device
- Now open the Stadia app on your Android device or the Stadia web app from your iPhone or iPad or PC.
- In the ‘Choose where to play’ selection menu choose your Android TV/Google TV device
- Now attempt to cast a game to your TV and use your remote or controller to exit the Stadia app. Once you do this, you will have access to the full Stadia for Android TV functionality using your TV remote or gaming controller.
Who is going to try getting the Stadia for Android TV app going and what device are you going to try it on? Let us know in the comments below.