Here at Platform De.Central we whole-heartedly support product choice and by extension, web browser choice. A tool that has been dormant for a few years is back to help reinforce your browser choice, EdgeDeflector.
The developer describes EdgeDeflector as “A tiny helper application to force Windows 10 to use your preferred web browser instead of ignoring the setting to promote Microsoft Edge. Only runs for a microsecond when needed.” EdgeDeflector came onto the scene as a tool that could enable users to use Cortana with other web browsers. Now EdgeDeflector is back to help users wrangle control back of their PC and default app preferences. In no way are we saying that Microsoft Edge is a bad browser, we actually like it and would recommend it to anyone as a great alternative to Google Chrome along with the privacy focused Brave web browser.
How to force Windows 10 to utilize your default browser
- Download & install EdgeDeflector v22.214.171.124 from GitHub,
- Go Settings > Apps > Default apps,
- Navigate to the bottom and select > Choose default apps by protocol
- Find ‘MICROSOFT-EDGE’ in the list and select the program icon
- Select ‘EdgeDeflector’ from the list.
You can visit the developers GitHub page here for more information.