Qualcomm’s has announced the direct successor to the Snapdragon 765G, Snapdragon 758G. The successor is the same architecture but with major performance improvements.
Being based on the same architecture means manufacturers who currently use the 765G will be able to easily swap in the newer chips and gain significant amounts of performance. It is also pin and software compatible with both the 765 and 765G. The 768G has a number of significant improvements:
- The Kryo 475 CPU “Prime: core has been overclocked to 2.8GHz (up from 2.4GHz)
- The Adreno 620 GPU offers a 15% performance increase
- Support for Adreno Updateable GPU Drivers
- Support for Bluetooth version 5.2 (vs. Bluetooth 5.0 on the older chips)
Snapdragon 768G Mobile Platform
- Immersive Gaming: Snapdragon 768G offers select Snapdragon Elite Gaming features to provide special game extensions and optimizations, smoother gameplay and more enhanced detail and colors with true 10-bit HDR to deliver high quality mobile gaming experiences. This is the first 7-series platform to support Adreno Updateable GPU Drivers, giving players control of their GPU driver updates and settings to provide peak display refresh rates that unlock premium visual fidelity on their favorite games. Combined with a bolstered Adreno 620 GPU for up to 15% faster graphics rendering than Snapdragon 765G and support for 120Hz display, users can enjoy life-like gaming experiences and leading performance per unit power.
- Truly Global 5G: Dedicated to bringing superior 5G multimode connectivity far and wide globally like its predecessor, the Snapdragon 768G with the Snapdragon X52 5G Modem-RF System supports all key regions and frequency bands including 5G mmWave and sub-6 GHz, 5G SA and NSA modes, TDD and FDD with Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), global 5G roaming and support for multi-SIM. The Snapdragon X52 5G Modem-RF System is designed to deliver multi-gigabit peak download speeds of up to 3.7 Gbps and upload speeds of up to 1.6 Gbps, ensuring superior coverage for users around the world and support for all-day battery life*.
- 5th Generation AI Engine: The latest 5th generation Qualcomm AI Engine, combined with the X52 5G Modem-RF System, enhances nearly every mobile experience including camera, audio, voice and gaming. Snapdragon 768G’s AI Engine fuels mobile experiences that are sophisticated and seamless, supporting unique and innovative use cases like real-time translation and ultra-smooth AI-based lens filters for social media apps. Also, the low-power Qualcomm® Sensing Hub enables devices to be contextually aware of voice commands when using AI voice assistants and can automatically identify music that is playing around users – without excessive battery drain.
Xiaomi’s upcoming Redmi K30 5G “Speed Edition” will be the first device based on the Snapdragon 78G SOC, which will include dual-mode 5G, a 120Hz display and up to a 64MP primary camera sensor.
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 765G is turning out to be quite popular with OEM’s in 2020 with LG’s Velvet, Nokia’s 8.3, potentially Google’s Pixel 5 and others opting for the 765G you could see many unreleased devices go straight to the 768G instead, using the pandemic delay as an opportunity to wait for the stronger chip.